Saturday, January 3, 2009

Bukit Timah Nature Reserve

I kind of like Bukit Timah Nature Reserve a lot. Most of the snakes I found are from there.
I went with my father that day.

The first thing I saw was a Clouded Monitor. It was foraging for food. When it saw me, it quickly crawled into the vegetation.

I saw it moving on this twig. I took a shot of it. If you look closely, you can see its wings.


My father spotted this Golden Web Spider. This spider seems to be very common in forested and urban areas.

I was looking at two Common Treeshrews when this Greater Racket-tailed Drongo flew in front of me. Can you see the two hanging feathers at the end of the tail. This bird is sometimes seen with only one or no feathers hanging from the tail.

While taking shots of the Greater Racket-tailed Drongo, this woodpecker flew onto a tree close to me. I could not get a clear picture of it as it was flying from tree to tree.


While walking, I was thinking if I would find a Malayan Whip Snake at the same spot I found one few days ago. I looked carefully around the vegetation and Bingo! I found a Malayan Whip Snake.

Take a closer look at its head. The eyes of this snake distinguishes itself from its common cousin the Oriental Whip Snake. For a picture of the Oriental Whip Snake, visit http://www.ecologyasia.com/.


I spotted this ant hill on a plant. Normally you see ant hills on the ground, but this was built on a plant, about 1m above the ground.


Before leaving Bukit Timah, my father found this Common Sun Skink on a log. A few visitors to the Bukit Timah were also looking at it.

No comments: